Thursday, March 23, 2006

Magic Mart


Who in Ashley County is old enough to remember the Magic Mart store in Crossett? It is where the Main Mall is on Main Street--if you look closely, Main Mall has the same amount of letters in it as Magic Mart, so they didn't have to really go out of the way to acheive that feat--only use the extra space for a hyphen. In fact the 70s lettering style on the side of the building actually came from the inside of the store--they were styrofoam letters that designated the different departments--this was before the monster called Wal-Mart came and disintegrated every discount/retail store in the area such as Howard Brothers (later simply called Howard's), Gibson's (in El Dorado), TG&Y (El Dorado and West Monroe), and of course K-Mart (El Dorado, Monroe, West Monroe). Wal-Mart came into existence in Crossett in 1977 (can you believe it?) and Magic Mart went out of business around 1982 or so--I may need Stephanie to help me with my facts--LOL. Anyway, what I was getting to is that Magic Marts are still around---they are in West Virginia and Kentucky. I just thought that was interesting....
Here is their website: http://www.magicmartstores.com/

Comments:
LOL, thanks Crystal for stopping by!
 
I LOVED Magic Mart! I remember a purple & green striped dress there that had a tootsie roll emblem on it. I loved their toy section--once I saved and got a palomino horse toy that had a removable saddle. I also remember leaving for vacation and stopping there. I got a small notepad w/pencil and a sparkly blue jay sticker from the gumball machine. This kept me entertained during the drive, you know I loved to draw and loved stickers!

Remember Wilco in Eldorado? Was it you or me that got a red & white mouse pen from there? The tip was his nose.
 
It was Woolco--and I remember than pen---We were in the 2nd grade. I got it during their going out of business sale--it later turned into Wal-Mart (in Mellor Park Mall)before it moved out to be the SuperCenter.
 
Yep it was Woolco--Wilco is a band haha--Not a bad on either, but I digress. That is funny how we both remember that pen. It was an awesome pen though!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?