Thursday, March 30, 2006

Woolco


Woolco is another store from my childhood that is gone with the wind. It was the mass market/discount spin off store of Woolworth's. This was a late response due to S.S. Kresge Corporation, the predecessor of Kmart, converting their 5 and dime stores into K-marts. I can still remember the distinctive red W on the store fronts of the Woolcos. The one I remember most was the anchor of Mellor Park Mall in El Dorado--it eventually went out of business in 1982 (they all officially went out of business in 1983) and some were converted into Wal-Mart's as in the case in El Dorado. Anyway, Stephanie and I were sharing a memory about a pen I got at Woolco's in El Dorado during their "going out of business sale". It was a mouse shaped pen with the nose being the pen tip. Notice in the picture, the store is closing--LOL.

Comments:
so sad, even in the photo the store is closing! I miss Woolco, I remember getting some fairy tale coloring books there while Cyndi was seeing the orthodontist.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?