Tuesday, August 29, 2006

After church with KFC


Since I was a little tyke, my mamaw took me to KFC when I was little for a fried chicken treat evening meal. Back then, there were two or three booths, an old fashioned bottle vending machine where you had to pull them out sideways... They didn't have fountain drinks back then. Soon during this time and after, my family would always go out to eat after church. There was this one place called "Tiebel's" and if anyone cares to know where it used to be, it is where "Green Thumb" now "Ideal Construction Company" right beside Ideal and across from the Paper Mill (in Crossett, AR). Mamaw called it "Tulip Queen" because apparently that was the name before. I remember their old fashioned counters and tables and the stacks of various pies they had on display. Apparently everyone had a slice of pie after their meal. Another place we would eat after church was Sonic,which back then they brought out your drink with colored plastic animals on the side. OK, rambling on, rambling on, the point to my story is the evolution of Kentucky Fried Chicken to KFC and their evolving advertising campaign. I remember the old 80s campaign "Cross the Road Jack" with Ray Charles singing. And also I learned a hard lesson of big business manipulating nostaligic feelings for the purpose of a profit. In a college economic class, I had to present a report on PepsiCo, which actually owned Pepsi, Frito-Lay, KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut, and many more (I'll get more to these later on another musing). At this time Kentucky Fried Chicken had been known as KFC for a couple years, and during the time of the research, had stopped offering it's famous "bucket". Kentucky Fried Chicken was now KFC and didn't have a bucket! I was noticing the other differences/declining of the Pizza Hut and Taco Bell brand, but like I said, I'll ramble about that for another time. So, now, KFC has a bucket, and has rebranded itself (under Pepsi still) to a company that has changed its name, changed it's writing and logos to be more nostalgic. Note the new logos and buckets have the original Kentucky Fried Chicken logo.

Comments:
I remember those days....the vending machine with the bottles. I always wanted one. We never went to Tiebel's though, but I do remember it. My aunt louise went there everyday for her cup of coffee. I do remember where it was and what the building looked like. My mom would talk about the tulip queen too haha Do you remember the dairy queen which was later a short lived chicken place? I loved that dairy queen. I remember those plastic animals too. They kind of look like blown glass, but of course were plastic. I distinctly remember a yellow giraffe. I remember your family giving me a ride home after children's choir and we all went to the sonic and got ice cream cones. I was taught to turn down any offers, but they insisted and I was glad!! That was back when Jeff was real little and had that curly white blond hair lol I'm glad KFC has the bucket back. Have you noticed them trying to pull a fast one with the "kitchen fresh chicken" lol who do they think they're fooling?
 
Yes, I remember that Dairy Queen. For a while the building still had the old drive thru speaker up. I used to like to drive by it when I first got my car--I didn't think anyone else would be interested. I also remember when it changed to that Chicken place. I remember when we went there after buying groceries, I had gotten some Cap'n Crunch and I had a glow in the dark round spaceship and I wanted to call and hear the Cap'n's message and it said ONLY from a touch tone phone and of course we didn't have one and I THREW A FIT! My parents had to take me by The Nolley's (Whitney, Brooke and Nolley's grandparents--Aunt Lou's (Wanda, who is married to Uncle Connie) parents). I can still remember what the chicken place sign looked like, but I can't remember the name. Something cheesy like Chicken Time...Also, do you remember that old restaurant, "Uncle Albert's"? That building is gone with the wind, but I can still see the sign. It had a big fat jolly black man with a bowler hat on it. I looked it up on the internet and there is still one in Warren and I called them and asked them to fax me their menu--they said they didn't have a fax--hahaha. Oh well, maybe we can take a trip and see if it is the same when I move back home.
 
It's still my favorite chicken.
 
That's too funny you through a fit about the message hahahahaha

Yes, I DO remember Uncle Alberts and distinctly remember the sign! Where was that building exactly? Not really sure about the location. LMAO that they do not have a FAX!!!! hahahaha, yes, we really should make a trip to see it!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?